There are so many things to consider when choosing a college. This page is meant to help you:
- Figure out how to apply to the college you choose.
- Search for a college that’s right for you. (Figure out where you might want to go.)
- Understand what resources are out there for you. (Where to search for scholarships)
- Figure out where you might want to go.
- Learn about placement tests and how to study for them.
- Learn about Financial Aid available.
Most Popular Links
- TOP 3 Picks:
- College Board – A mission-driven not-for-profit organization that connects students to college success.
- FastWeb – Targeted scholarships, financial aid, student loans, college information, and career advice.
- FAFSA – Free Application for Federal Student Aid – Also has Information on college costs, graduation, and post-college earnings.
Most of what you need can be found in the three links above. However, if you want links that are geared to more specific topics, please continue below.
Minority, Low-Income, First Generation Students
- www.finaid.org/otheraid/minority.phtml – minority aid site
- http://www.educationplanner.org – education planner
- http://www.uncf.org/ – United Negro College Fund
- collegefund.org – American Indian fund
- http://www.aihec.org/ – American Indian Higher Education Consortium
- http://www.hillel.org/ – Jewish resource for colleges
- http://www.gmsp.org/ – Gates Millennium Scholars Fund (Financial Need)
- http://www.hsf.net/ – Hispanic scholarships
Students With Disabilities
- http://www.ahead.org/ – Association of Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD)
- http://www.add.org/ – Attention Deficit Disorder Association
- http://www.chadd.org/ – Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorders
- http://www.ldanatl.org/ – Learning Disabilities Association of America (LDA)
- http://www.ncld.org/ – National Center for Learning Disabilities
- http://www.fcsn.org/ -Federation for Children with Special Needs
- http://www.ldonline.org/ – Learning Disabilities Online
Personality and Career Assessment
- Bureau of Labor and Statistics Career Guide – link your favorite subject in school to a possible career
- The Vocational Information Center
Search for Colleges
- National Center for Education – links and searches to colleges and universities
- Online Education – general degree and program information
- Peterson’s – find colleges by degree programs of interest
- Tuition Reimbursement – Jobs that will pay your college tuition
- University HQ – Helpful site for various types of post-high school training
Online Education Links
- DeVry University – technical programs available
- Jones University – specializes in business and computer courses
- American Intercontinental University – includes financial aid info
- University of Phoenix – links and searches to all campuses by state
Two Year College Resources
- Community College Review – profiles of community and junior colleges
- American Assoc. of Community Colleges
About the Different Tests
- ACT test – about the ACT Test, used for college admissions, and an alternative to the SAT
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP) – about the CLEP program
- PSAT – Preliminary SAT
- The SAT Calendar
- PrepFactory.com – Free SAT & ACT Test Prep – Watch hours and hours of in-depth, high-quality SAT and ACT instruction.
- SAT Test prep: SAT Prep Guide
- The Princeton Review – all sorts of college information
- Federal Student Aid Site – Federal Student Aid Site for students, parents and counselors
- FinAid – Student aid resource site
- US Dept. of Education – search for student aid resources by state
- Scholarship Scams – avoid scholarship scams – don’t pay!
- “Ultimate Guide to Student Loan Resources” – Links to information on loans, scholarships, FAFSA, work study, and avoiding scams.
- http://www.scholarship.com/ – Finding scholarships
- http://www.fastweb.com/ – Financial Aid and Scholarship Search
- http://www.collegeboard.com/ – College, Career, Scholarship Search
- http://www.wiredscholar.com/ – SallieMay site for financial aid
- Check out more links and Featured Scholarships on our Scholarships Page
Financial Aid Links